Acai bowls haven’t quite hit the scene here in Atlanta. As in, they’re next to impossible to find. Miraculously I found out one of my local smoothie stores makes them and as soon as I had my first one, I was hooked. However, they run at $7 a bowl, the store has terrible customer service and they have weird hours. So naturally I had to figure out how to make them on my own. And I did! Here’s how you can make an acai bowl at home for less than $5 a bowl.
At-Home Acai Bowl Recipe
What You’ll Need
- 2 Frozen Acai Packets (I found this bag of 4 packets at my local Sprouts Market, but I’ve heard you can find them at Whole Foods or Publix or you can order them online.)
- 1 Large Banana (1/2 Frozen, 1/2 Sliced, to taste)
- Vanilla Almond Milk
- Toppings, such as banana slices, granola, berries, chia seeds
What You’ll Do
1. Take 2 individual frozen acai packets and run them under warm water to slightly melt the frozen berries. Cut the top of the packets off and break up the berry square as you squeeze it into the blender.
2. Add the frozen 1/2 of a banana (I’ve made it with an un-frozen banana and it was still just as good, but not as cold) and about 1/3 cup of almond milk.
3. Blend, stir, blend, stir. If the frozen ingredients aren’t blending well enough, add in a little more almond milk. It should be a smoothie consistency, maybe a little thinner.
4. Top with sliced bananas, granola, berries, chia seeds, coconut, etc. All things tasty and fresh! It’s seriously that easy.